For the first time, 4 business groups and a charity in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne collaborated to run a free event for their members and other local business people.
People from Croydon Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Ringwood Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Whitehorse Business Group, Manningham Business Network and the Footmen Foundation got together last night to learn more about:
- Employer obligations, National Employment Standards and modern awards via a virtual tour of Fair Work websites
- Fair Work information and other resources and tools that are freely available and how to access them
- How to avoid and manage unfair dismissal claims and
- What the new Fair Work Amendment (Protecting Vulnerable Workers) Act 2017 means for employers, franchisors and holding companies.
In introducing the session, Ringwood Chamber of Commerce and Industry President, Kerry Atherton commented on how good it was to see 4 business groups and a charity collaborating in an event – a first for all involved. She also noted the importance of the subject matter to anyone employing or planning to employ people.
Chris Zidak from Maroondah City Council also gave an entertaining and informative presentation on Council’s Business and Development activities, achievements and plans.
Daryl Stephens from the Footmen Foundation finished off the night with an engaging dissertation on the history of the Footmen Foundation and the work that it does in helping community groups and individuals with unfunded special needs in Maroondah and surrounding areas.
Ridgeline HR Practice Leader and Ringwood Chamber Board Member Peter Maguire and his close associates Chris White and Emma Watt, presented the briefing closing off with a few questions for the audience and prizes for correct answers. This is part of Ridgeline HR’s contribution to improving wellbeing under Maroondah’s City of Wellbeing Program by adding to the knowledge and support available to small business owners in meeting their obligations as employers.
The “Fair Work and All That Stuff” slides can be downloaded below. These have a lot of links embedded through which you can access various information and tools featured in the presentation.
Special thanks go to:
- Maroondah City Council for providing the venue at Realm free.
- Big Mates Pizza who provided pizzas free for all to share.
- Ridgeline HR for organising and presenting the event and providing refreshments and prizes.